How to swap items and purchase extras to customize your box
Prior to your delivery, you’ll have the option to make changes to the contents of your box! A few days in advance, you will receive an email telling you what items are in your box for the week, what items might be available for swapping, and what "extras" may be available for purchase.
To customize your box for the week, you can
- Click the “Swap Items” button in the “It’s Time to Customize Your Share” email.
- Or, login to your Harvie account and click "Customize My Share" on your Dashboard, or the "It's time to customize your box!" item in My Tasks.
Navigating the Customize Your Share page
The first thing you'll see on the Customize page is the cut-off date and time for this week's delivery. You can revisit this page to make changes to your box as many times as you wish until the cut-off time. At this point, the farmer begins the harvesting and packing process and can no longer accept changes.
You may also see a note indicating that you have a balance available on your account. Depending on your farm's settings, your balance may apply to your total amount due, or when you choose to purchase extras or make changes that result in swap charges. When the farmer finalizes the delivery, and qualifying amount will be deducted from your balance first, and the remaining amount due will be charged to your card on file. For more information on Harvie Balance, please visit Harvie Balance: What it is, how to receive it, and how to redeem it
In the upper-right corner, you will find a cart icon, which you can click to view the contents of your cart and a summary of charges. This feature is discussed in further detail in the "Cart View" section of this document.
It is possible to receive more than one box in the same delivery. For example, you may have specified a quantity greater than one at signup, or rescheduled your box for a week that you were away from home. In this case, you will also see a banner at the top of the page with a link to the Customize page for each additional box.
In Your Cart
Next, there will be a list of all the items that are scheduled to be in your box, referred to as "In Your Cart." Each product will have an image, several information fields and a series of actions you can take:
1. Quantity: How many of this item are currently in your cart
2. Product Name: The name of the item and the unit by which it is sold
3. Producer: The name of the farm that provided this item. This field is optional, and is used by the farmer to indicate products that were supplied by a neighboring farm.
4. Tags: This field is optional. The farmer may choose to indicate which items are suitable for people with certain dietary restrictions or preferences, such as Gluten Free, Organic, Vegan, etc.
5. Description: This field is optional, and may include more information about the product itself, an ingredients list, or tips for storing or cooking the product. If the description exceeds the available space on the product card, click "Read more" to view the full text. When you are done, click anywhere to collapse the text.
6. Add to Cart: If you would like more of this item, select the additional quantity you would like in the dropdown and click the "Add To Cart" button. For example, field 1 shows that this person already has 2 of this item in their cart. By selecting 2 in the dropdown and clicking the Add button, they would then have a total of 4. By default, this dropdown gives you the option to add up to 5 of an item at a time, but it may have fewer options if the item is nearly sold out. If the item is already sold out, the "Add To Cart" button will be disabled. You will receive the quantity that is in your cart, but cannot add any more. For more information, see the "Sold Out Items" section of this document.
7. Swap: If you would like to exchange this item in your cart for another item, click the Swap button. A popup will appear with a list of products available for swapping. This process is discussed in greater detail in the "Swapping" section of this document.
8. Remove: If you want to simply remove this product from your cart, and choose something else later, click Remove. If you have more than one of this item in your cart, this will remove all of them. Steps for decreasing the quantity in your cart are discussed in the "Cart View" section of this document.
Box Value Alert
If the total value of the products in your cart is less than the value of your share, you will see an alert indicating that you may add products without incurring an additional charge.
Please note that the value of the individual products you select may be greater or less than the unused portion of your share value. More expensive items may still incur a swap charge.
Clicking the "Swap" button on an item in your cart opens the swap modal. Here, you will see a list of the products that are available to substitute for the one you selected. If an item is priced higher than the one it would replace, you will also see a note that it incurs a "swap charge" for the difference. Click on the item you would like to swap into your box, and then click the "Swap Products" button. If you change your mind, simply click "Cancel."
If the item you selected incurs a swap charge, you will be prompted to confirm your selection and accept the additional charge. Again, you may click "Swap Products" to proceed, or "Cancel" if you no longer wish to make this swap.
After you confirm this choice, a notification will appear in the bottom-right corner of your browser stating your new total with the swap charge applied.
You can browse the other products that are available in this delivery by either scrolling through the page at your leisure, or, if you are looking for a specific type of product, use the "Browse by category" dropdown to jump directly to that department.
The product cards in each department will have the same fields and behavior as those in the "In Your Cart" section of the page. Items which are already in your cart will have a "Quantity in Cart" label and the full set of action buttons, allowing you to make changes without having to return to the cart section. Items that are not currently in your cart will only offer the "Add to Cart" action.
When you add an item to your cart, the item count badge on the cart icon will update. If the item you add to your cart causes your total box value to exceed the price of your share, an alert will appear in the bottom-right corner to inform you of your new total for the week.
Sometimes, there will be items available for purchase outside of the main share inventory. These items are called "Extras" and can be added to your cart from the "Purchase Extras" section of the page. Like the main inventory, this section is divided by product category, and can be navigated by scrolling or in the "Browse by category" dropdown.
Whether or not you already have an extra in your cart, the only available action in the extras categories will be "Add to Cart." Extras are not eligible for swaps. For instructions on removing an extra from your cart, please read the "Cart View" section of this document.
Adding extras to your order always incurs a charge equal to the unit price of the item. When you do so, an alert will appear in the bottom-right corner of the page to inform you of your new total for the week. The item count badge on your cart icon will also be updated.
Sold Out Items
When all of the available inventory for an item is currently in members' carts, that item will appear in the "Out Of Stock" section at the bottom of the page. Its photo will be overlaid with a "Sold Out" message, and the "Add To Cart" button will be disabled.
If an item that is sold out is already in your cart, you can still expect to receive this item in your box. Congratulations on securing a high-demand item! It will appear in the "In Your Cart" section of the page with a similar "out of stock" message. The "Swap" and "Remove" buttons will be enabled, but before you take these actions, remember that you may not be able to get it back.
If something you wanted is sold out, do not despair! Available inventory changes frequently as members customize their boxes. Return to this page again before the cut-off time, and if other people have removed the product from their cart, you will be able to add it to yours.
Most of the things you can do in the main page can also be done in the Cart. It also provides a summary of your charges and delivery/pickup information. To view your Cart, click on the icon in the menu bar. To collapse it again, click the close icon at the top of the panel.
Here are the actions that are available in the Cart View:
1. Product name
2. Quantity: The numeric portion of this field shows how many of this item are currently in your cart. Use the up and down arrow buttons to increase or decrease the quantity, then click the "Update" button to save your changes. If you enter a quantity greater than the remaining stock of an item, you will see a warning and will not be able to save until you decrease the quantity.
Again, if your changes exceed the price of your share, an updated total alert will appear.
3. Swap: Exchange this item for another. For more details, please read the "Swapping" section of this document.
4. Remove: Remove all of this item from your cart.
Any extras that you selected will appear in this section, accompanied by their unit price. The same actions described in the "Share Contents" section for changing quantities or removing items apply here.
Scroll down in your cart view, and you will see a summary of your charges for this delivery.
The "Share" section lists the main share size and any add-ons you ordered, and their balance due, including delivery fee if applicable.
"Swap Charges" and "Extras" may or may not appear, depending on the selections you made while customizing your box. Any charges incurred via swapping, increasing quantities, or adding items to your cart will be included in the "Total Swap Charges." An itemized list of your extras and their charges are shown next.
If you have a balance available on your account, and your order includes applicable charges, there will be a line item for "Balance Redeemed." Your available balance is deducted from the total due, and this amount will not be charged to your card on file.
The "Total" represents the sum of your share charges, swap charges, and extra charges, minus any balance that has been redeemed. This is the amount that will be charged to your card on file when the delivery is completed.
At the bottom of your cart, you may verify the details of your delivery schedule, including the location, date, and approximate time. Please note that this time is the beginning of the delivery window. If your box is delivered to your home, its actual arrival time will depend on where your stop is on the driver's route. If you pick up your box at a central location, please check your confirmation email for the complete hours of that location.
If you no longer wish to receive a box this week, you may click "Reschedule This Share" or "Skip This Share" to select a new date for your delivery. Please note that the available products vary from week to week depending on the harvest, so there may be different items available on the week you select.