How do preferences work?
To create your custom share, the Harvie software utilizes the product preferences you provide, but how do these preferences work?
- Each individual share starts with your farmer listing the products they expect to have and what quantity. For example, they'll say they expect to have 60 bunches of carrots, 50 heads of cabbage, etc.
- For each share, Harvie will randomize the list of members receiving a share that week. This way no one member is always on the top of the list, and no one member is always on the bottom of the list.
- Harvie then goes through member by member putting the first item in each member's share for the week. Harvie starts at the top of the list of the products as supplied by the farm and looks for products that you have rated as “Love it!”. If it finds a “Love it!” item, it is added to your share. If not, it goes back through the list looking for items rated “I like it”. If none are found, it starts at the top of the list again looking for items rated “Sometimes”. Once again, if none are found, it starts at the top again looking for items rated “I'll eat it”. You will never receive items you've marked as “Not for me”.
- Harvie goes through the entire list of members putting one item in their share. It then flips the list of members and goes through the process to put a second item in each share. It will skip over the item it previously put in your share and will look for the next “Love it!” item.
- This process is completed until your share reaches the appropriate target value set by the farm.
What if I like everything? Should I rate everything a “Love it!”?
It is important to remember that rating everything as “Love it!” is essentially the same thing as saying “I have no preferences”. If you really love everything equally, then that is fine.
However, we would recommend limiting your “Love it!” ratings for maybe a half-dozen or so items that you really would like if they are available. Then mark everything else that you are happy to receive as an “I like it” rating. This will make those “Love it!” items stand out in the algorithm and make it more likely that you will receive them in your share.
Is there anything else that can affect what I get in my share?
Your farmer can mark certain products as “featured” for a single delivery. These are items that the farm may have excess quantity of and hopes to be able to distribute more of them. The Harvie algorithm will attempt to put featured items in your share first with a couple differences from regular items:
- If you have a rating of “Sometimes” or “I Like it”, the algorithm will prioritize that item over non-featured items that you have ranked as “Love it!”
- If you have a feature item rated as “Love it!”, the algorithm may put two of this item in your share before adding any other items.
How to set your preferences?
Immediately after checking out for the first time, you will be directed to the preferences page to set your preferences. This page will display a list of all the products that the farm may produce during the year and next to each item will be five smiley face icons represented the 5 levels of preference from “I love it!” to “Not for me”. Rank each item according to your preferences.
Some notes about preferences:
- You can update your preferences at any time. If throughout the season your preferences change, simply log into your Harvie account and click on the “My Preferences” option in the side-menu. This will bring you back to the preferences page where you can update your preferences for any or all products.
- It is not a guarantee that all products listed on the preferences page will be included in shares during any given season. These are just products that the farm has identified as possible items that they will be offering. Product availability depends on the seasonality of products at the time.
- If the farm adds new products to their product listings, you will get a notice when you login telling you that you have items that have not yet been rated.
- Any items that you do not rate a preference for will be treated as an average or “Sometimes” rating.
- If you have gotten an email to customize your share, at that point changing your preferences will not affect that share. You should swap the products out at that point. Future shares, when generated, will take into account any changes made to your preferences.