Harvie Farm Stand is an excellent opportunity to engage with a much larger community of folks than farm share members. It is a way for subscribers to trial your farm share program prior to becoming a full fledged member. It's also a way for your farm to nurture these leads and move them towards full membership down the road.
Harvie Farm Stand provides farms with an additional channel to funnel sales through. If you haven't reached your sales goals for the season or have additional inventory to sell, Farm Stand allows you to generate additional sales of one time share purchases to subscribers at anytime throughout the season as it's built right into your delivery process.
1. People can subscribe to Farm Stand and receive notifications when you have one-time shares available to purchase. These people are referred to as "Subscribers".
2. The process if built right into your delivery build so there is no extra work involved for you!
3. Subscribers can purchase one time shares when and if you have extra inventory. This means that you can start collecting subscribers even if you aren't ready to sell farm stand shares.
4. Great way to generate new leads!
How to get subscribers
You can build your farm stand subscriber list in three ways:
- Organically through your website, email and social media marketing by linking to the subscription page via your website
- Direct import your contacts into Harvie (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with this)
- Advertise at your farmers market stand and other community events
A marketing toolkit has been provided for you to promote your Farm Stand subscription. This includes:
- Email template instructing your subscribers on how to opt in
- Images you can use on your website, Facebook and Instagram
- Blank images you can upload to Canva to add your own text overlay on
- HFS Logo
- Poster template
- Rack card template
Marketing Ideas to Get Started:
- Email to customer leads and past members to build subscriptions
- Post on Social Media to sell shares during the customization period
- Add the Farm Stand Link to your Harvie Sign Up Page
- Import your Customer Leads into Harvie
- Promote at Farmers Markets
- Add a Farm Stand Button and Program Description to your Farm Website
- Use the send email tool in Harvie to send follow up emails to HFS subscribers
Want to learn more about how to market Farm Stand and download the tool kit? Visit the Harvie Farm Stand Marketing and Communications help doc for more in depth resources!
How To Find Your Farm Stand Link
You can locate your URL by going to your dashboard and going to "My Farm":
How Farm Stand Integrates with Delivery Build
Farm stand is built into your delivery build:
1. After you input your harvest estimate and extras you'll be brought to this farm stand page.
2. You will be notified of the extra product value that could be converted into a share for your farm stand subscribers.
3. If there is sufficient inventory available, just select which shares you want to advertise and the locations from which they can retrieve their purchased shares.
4. Click Yes, Sell More.
Note: Once you complete your delivery build and Send Member Emails, your current Farm Stand link will be live on your site for anyone to purchase a share, so tap into your social media channels and email lists to promote that your Farm Stand is open! Grab your link and use this image if you like!
Some Notes on How Farm Stand Works
- We can not set an inventory cap for you. You will tell the system how much product you have when you create the delivery.
- When your farm stand is open, anyone can subscribe and sign up for the farm stand share at the same time by following the farm stand link.
- If your farm stand delivery is NOT open then they’ll only have the option to subscribe to the farm stand list. When you do open deliveries, they’ll receive a notification. (see below screenshots on that)
- If you are adding new locations, please note that subscribers will not get an email because they have not set preferences for this new location!
- Please send your farm stand URL to your broader list if you've added new locations so everyone gets notifications.
- We'd also advise sending an email to farm stand subscriber list (instructions in the above farm stand help doc) giving them a heads up about the new locations and to set their preferences to those locations.
What It Looks Like During Delivery
You will know your Farm Stand members inside a delivery with the logo in the bottom left hand corner of their label:
Per Order Service Fee
One thing to consider is adding a "per order" fee to Harvie Farm Stand orders to make sure there is an incentive to join as a member. A potential range would be from $0 to $10 on this. This fee can be applied by going to Adjustments and following the prompts.
UPDATE: As of August 2019, any new farms set up in Harvie will have an automatic $5 Farm Stand service fee added to subscribers farm stand orders.
Customer Journey Program
Harvie has a built in Customer Journey Program. This means that we are aiming to capture potential subscribers to Farm Stand and turn them into full members. To start this process, there is a first time order incentive for both shares or farm stand. This incentive is 50% off first DELIVERY. Remember, this is not the full order- just the first delivery so typically this is only around $10-$15 depending on your per delivery pricing.
Members see that on the sign up page here
If you'd like to edit the % off first delivery, opt out of Farm Stand, or remove the advertisement on the sign up page, here is where you can find that information:
1. Go to your Farm Admin
2. Click Farm Stand Settings
3. Adjust farm stand "Active" and/or adjust the % amount off first delivery offered:
How to Subscribe and Order
1. Import Your Warm Leads List
If you are already sending a mailing list email each week to a wider list, you can consider importing your whole list into your Harvie admin. This could become your main communication each week because it will include your Farm Happening to give folks news about what is going on at the farm, as well as an advertisement for available shares and product info. This turns Harvie into a one-stop-shop for communicating with members and your wider audience.
To import your list, send an email to email@example.com (subject line "Import List into Harvie Farm Stand") with a CSV/Excel file of your subscribers including at least email address but also potentially:
- First name
- Last name
- Phone number
- Pickup locations preferences, if known
Prior to being imported, you should send an email to these people and introduce the farm stand to them so they are not confused by the new emails. Chances are, since these people have already opted in to communication from your farm, they will want to get this communication from you. Of course, anyone can unsubscribe at any time by following the link in the email confirming their farm stand subscription.
2. Subscribe on farm stand page
Website visitors can go to the farms Farm Stand page:
- If the farm stand is currently active and accepting orders, first time visitors can purchase a farm stand order and create their account all at the same time. No address is required at sign up except in the case of home delivery.
- If the farm stand is currently active but sold out for the week, visitors will be promoted to sign up for notifications. This subscribes them to the farm stand and they will now receive notifications when the farm has farm shares available for purchase.
How Communication to Subscribers Work
When someone subscribes they will get an onboarding email series that educates them on how farm stand works (explaining how they’ll be alerted to product availability, how to set preferences, etc). When they place an order, they will get an order confirmation email. At the time they place the order, they will get asked to customize their share. They will then receive the “Your share is on its way” email.
Farm Stand Email Examples
LABELED: PURCHASE FROM THE FARM STAND FOR FRIDAY (06/14), SATURDAY (06/15)!
Farm Stand Members receive this email to invite them to purchase a share.
LABELED: CHERRY VALLEY ORGANICS FARM STAND ORDER
Farm Stand Members receive this email to confirm their purchase.
LABELED: YOUR CHERRY VALLEY ORGANICS SHARE IS ON THE WAY!
Farm Stand Members receive this email as a pickup reminder.
Where Farm Stand Subscribers are Located in Admin
Anyone who has subscribed to your Farm Stand, can be found in admin, under Farm Stand Subscriptions. (Note this is just folks who have subscribed to receive notifications!)
To locate subscribers who have purchased a share from the Farm Stand:
1. From Farm Admin, go to Orders
2. Filter by Type
3. Select Farm Stand
Here you have easy access to subscribers who have engaged with the Farm Stand system, in case you’d like to reach out to them with additional info, promotion of full season membership and also to gather feedback.
You can also export a list of your farm stand subscribers who do not have regular orders for the season. To do this:
1. From Farm Admin, go to Members
2. In the Actions menu, select "Export HFS Subscriber not members". Enter the date range of your season in the modal.
3. Click Export. This will generate a CSV of all your farm stand subscribers who do not have "SIGNUP" type orders within the date range you entered. Subscribers who have "FARM_STAND" type orders will still be included.
Want to email only your farm stand subscribers outside of the delivery build notifications?
You can easily find and communicate with farm stand subscribers only. Go to the send email tool and choose "All Farm Stand Subscribers" from the drop down menu.
Example use: Experiment with sending a 2nd email reminder alerting subscribers that the customization period is about to end so it's their last chance to order.
If you want to communicate only with farm stand subscribers who are not active members, choose "All Farm Stand Subscribers that are not members" from the dropdown. This will automatically turn on the "not in range of delivery days" filter. Enter the date range that applies to your message. Anyone who is a farm stand subscriber, but does NOT have deliveries for a "SIGNUP" type order in that time range, will receive the message, including those who have a "FARM_STAND" type delivery scheduled.